The tap is quite noticeable equipment in your bathroom. Whenever you search for a modern bathroom, you surely see new faucets.
This trend suggests that you should also be getting a new for your bathroom. Do you like to stay up-to-date? Do you want your bathroom style classic?
You will need to place the most recent designs in your bathroom to stay trendy. You have seen many current catalogues that suggest what sort of faucets suit the modern bathroom.
Although most websites suggest the stem faucet or the cartridge faucet, the main thing is which one is more suitable for the contemporary bathroom.
Faucet stem vs cartridge? You will find out the truth at the end of the post.
Faucet Stem Vs Cartridge Differences
People often misconceive that the stem and cartridge are more or less the same, but they are entirely different.
Although the internal components are the same and will generate the same amount of water with similar quality, they differ in functioning. Let’s see what the major tasks that these faucets have are.
- Functioning: stem faucets will allow you to decide the temperature of any spout. You can determine what sort of water you want from the handles of the tap.
- In contrast, the cartridge faucets will only allow setting water temperature from a single handle.
- The number on handles: stem faucets have two handles, one for the hot water and the other for the cold water. The other cartridge faucets only have one handle.
- You can set the temperature from that only handle to get the best result of water. Although in recent years, there are also two handle cartridge faucets on the market. This two-handle cartridge is best for the modern bathroom faucets.
How to know the type of faucet you are using?
Although it is not that tough to know what sort of faucets you have in the bathroom, there are some key factors. The stem faucets have the quality to help you identify the type of spout you are using in the bathroom. Most the old-style bathroom has a faucet stem.
- Types of stem faucets: To know whether the stem is good or the cartridge, we would need to know their types.
- Seat and washer: the oldest category of the stem faucet is the seat and washer. This type of faucet stem is rare in the market now.
- This one controls the temperature of the water and does not let the over the flow of water. You can easily change the flow and pressure according to the changing of position.
- This type of faucet stem is great and is more controllable than others.
- Diaphragm: the diaphragm stem faucets have more life and are more like the seat and washer stem faucets. There is no such difference, but only the flexibility and durability differ in the diaphragm.
- Cartridge: is the cartridge the type of stem faucet? Yes, the functioning of the cartridge is the same as the stem. It only differs by appearance and durability.
- Rotating element: The cartridge faucet has a rotating element in its body. This rotating option will help set the temperature of water from the taps.
- Although the cartridge further has the major types that function differently. The cartridge also controls the water temperature that flows through the faucets.
- The O-rings: This cartridge has rubber O-rings in its body that helps in rotating and controlling the water pressure.
- The cartridge can twist at almost about 360 degrees angle.
- Durability: the stem has a longer lifetime, but the cartridge has more durability. It is quite tough to decide the lifetime cause both faucets have a strong composition. You can choose based on your recent experience.
- Repairing and replacing: the stem faucets can be improved as it does not have that complex composition. You can ask your local plumber about the inconvenience you face with the stem faucets.
- However, they would recommend you the same thing. On the other hand, the cartridge has complex raw materials.
- If you face any flow or controlling water issue, you will have to replace it. The major inconvenience occurs there messing of water, and the handle is not in control.
- It means that the rubber rotators need some replacement.
- Valves: the cartridge has the inner valves in the inner part of the body and the outer vale on the outer side of the body. This adjustment identifies that the cartridge has more control over water flow.
- The valves help the spout to know the amount of hot and cold water in each handle. The cartridge has two check valves, one balancing spool, and a temperature sensor.
- These all features help the adjusting the pressure of water through the handle.
- Strategic holes: there is a strategic hole in the cartridge faucets for the thermoregulator of the water.
- This hole will help you maximize or minimize the temperature of the water. These holes will not let the breakdown of the setting thermostatic setting of water as it can be careful.
What are the drawbacks of faucet stem and cartridge?
- Leakage: the cartridge can cause you a high level of disturbance when any of the parts break. It can create a mess around your bathroom and damage the interior of your bathroom.
- Damage: This damage can be a little much costly. The breaking of the cartridge faucet is the loss of O-rings in its body.
- Thus, it will also lose control of the water flow and can damage the valves of your entire sink. The best solution to avoid this mishap is to keep checking the parts of the faucets.
Which is easier to use?
The cartridge is handier to use and does not require much force if you want to turn on the valves. On the other hand, the stem faucet needs pressure and power when you want to run the water through valves.
What is the suggested faucet for the modern bathroom?
People are attracted to the cartridge as it is durable and easy to use. The stem faucet is preferable appearance-wise.
Does the rubber rotator affect the thermostatic holes in the cartridge?
When the rubber rotators lose a little bit, it can affect water’s flow and temperature setting. This rotator can also damage your valves in the bathroom.
Are the cartridge lies in the same category of stem faucets?
The cartridge faucets are the current category of stem faucets. It functions less the same, but the raw materials differ slightly. Although the other factors, such as the lifetime and speed, also differentiate between them.