When you hear water dripping from the kitchen or bathroom, you see water leaking from the gooseneck.
Do you get irritated by the dripping sound? Do you want to call the plumber and want him to fix it? Although you can select the gooseneck at home without any help from the plumber.
This leaking of the gooseneck faucet will damage the whole sink. You will need to fix it before it starts creating a smell in your kitchen and bathroom.
In this way, you will not be embarrassed in front of your guests when they are at your place.
Reasons for the gooseneck faucet leaking at base?
Two major reasons can cause your gooseneck faucet leakage.
- O-ring: the loose or slight displacement of o-rings can cause your faucet to leak. Although it’s not too hard to fix this o-ring, you will need to tighten the rings.
- In most cases, you can see the o-rings gets out of their place. However, it’s not necessary to replace the whole part. You will need to identify the problem and then replace the components.
- Cartridge: the other reason for your gooseneck faucet leakage is the collapsing of the cartridge. The cartridge can also be repaired easily at home without any consultation. You can also tighten the valve to avoid leakage in the cartridge spout.
- Where the water leaks from the gooseneck: the water mostly leaks from the faucets’ three spots: base, spout, and cartridge.
- Repairing or replacing: You will need only improve when the o-ring is not in its place. Although the cartridge can break, that will cause leakage in the faucet, so you will need to replace the whole part of the cartridge with the new one.
How to fix the gooseneck faucet?
You can fix the gooseneck with the minor tools present at your home. You will not require any heavy equipment to resolve this as you will read the whole post; you will understand.
Procedure: follow the step-by-step guidance to repair the faucets.
- Firstly, you will need to turn the water supply.
- Twist and off both hot and cold water supply valves under the sink.
- These closed valves will not let the water flow during the repair.
- Take a screwdriver and a clean towel.
- Put the towel at the bottom of the faucet where you need to open it and put the screwdriver on it.
- Now start moving the screwdriver in the back and forth position.
- The towel will save the body of the gooseneck from scratches.
- After losing the faucet, you can separate the gooseneck from the base.
- You will see some circular rubber, which is an o-ring spout.
- You can take a sharp tool to replace the o-ring present in the faucet.
- Now grease the rubber o-ring to prevent the blockage in the water supply.
Why would you replace the o-ring
- Repairing o-ring: if you see that the rubber is not in the position or slightly loose, you will need to replace it. However, you don’t need to buy the new one for the faucet unless it is not broken.
- After the repairing: when you have replaced the o-ring, you will need to place the gooseneck at its original place and, with the help of a screwdriver, tighten it in the clockwise direction.
How to deal with cartridge leaking in the faucets?
- Safety measures: You will need to turn the valve off as you did in the o-ring. The valves are present under the sink and are comprised of two handles. Rotate the handles clockwise to tighten the valves and stop the water supply.
Installing of new cartridge
- Take the screwdriver and open the screws of the handle of the faucet.
- Put out the old cartridge from the handle.
- Now clean the handle with a damp towel to remove the germs.
- Replace the new cartridge that fits into the faucet.
- You will need to know the type of faucet to replace the new cartridge.
Why do we clean the handle before repairing the o-ring and cartridge?[/su_heading]
- Clean the inside of the spout: you will need to clean it as it will prevent the germs and removes all the particles present inside the faucet that causes the blockage. You can use vinegar to clean the handle thoroughly. If you don’t clean the spout before repairing it will have more chances of leakage.
- After installation: When replacing the cartridge, turn the valves on to check if they’re working. If yes, then well on good, but if not, there is something wrong with fixing the cartridge. Although there can be chances that the cartridge you use is not the right one for your faucet.
How to know that my cartridge fits in the faucets?
There are several reasons that your cartridge might not fit in the faucets. It would support if you made sure that the model must match the faucet. The other reason is not cleaning the spout from the inner side. The uncleaned tap can cause the water supply blockage. Thus, it can cause the smashing of water all over the sink and damage your valves and spout.
What is the basic reason that causes the faucets to leak?
The main reason is the breaking of cartridges and displacement of rubber o-rings present in the faucets. Although there can be more reasons, water supply increases through the valves.
Does the gooseneck leak a lot?
Any faucet can leak but can easily repair it with some fixing. You don’t need to call an expert as you can do this at home with small appliances.