Do you ever see the leaking of outdoor faucets damaging your property? Yes, it happens often, but you don’t have a plumber nearby, or maybe it is the weekend.
Although you can’t wait for the plumber, it will start smelling strange in your backyard or garage. You will also see the growing algae due to the water leaking at the floor.
This situation will make you deal with a leaking outdoor faucet by yourself. Do you find it tough to fix the leaking faucet? If you don’t have the basic knowledge about the spout, you will find it hard.
Otherwise, this post will give you the easiest steps to fix the outdoor faucet. How replace outdoor faucet? Do you think replacing an outdoor faucet is quite expensive? If you do it by yourself, then it is not costly. Let us figure out to establish the new outdoor faucet.
The Way How Replace Outdoor Faucet
In general, the outdoor and indoor faucets have the same connection with your home’s water pipes. However, the outdoor faucet has water pipes internally connected to the walls of your home.
- Consult a plumber: If you are thinking of getting rid of the whole water pipes connected to the faucet, you will need to consult with a plumber.
- The internal connection of water pipes will damage your property, and that’s complete that nobody wants to see.
- Yes, that leaking is quite irritating, especially when someone visits you and sees this whole mess around your house. It does not give an impression of your home.
- Material required: you will need to have some basic tools in your home, maybe in your tool kit. You will need to fix a wrench, copper pipe cutter, sandpaper, a new faucet ( try to get the shark bit pipe), and channel locks.
Step-by-step procedure for the fixing of outdoor faucet
- The very first thing you do is shut off the water valve of your house. You can find that in your garage or maybe somewhere outside your home.
- You will also need to shut the water meter as you are fixing the outdoor faucet, and you don’t want to disorders around with the water.
- Take the copper cuter and place that one in the middle of the faucet pipe. You will need to be more careful in this part as it can cut the whole faucet, and you don’t want that.
- Try to spin the cutter in the clockwise direction. It will detach the faucet and pipe more quickly.
- You can also use a wrench to detect the faucet, but it will not do that fast.
- Once the faucet is separated from the pipe, use sandpaper and wet to clean the line.
- After cleaning, you can use a new faucet and attach it with the help of a wrench.
- In most cases, the wrench does not work, so you need to use the channel locks.
- Place the channel locks at the spot and tighten the faucet with maximum power.
- The channel lock is a complete game-changer as it will fully tighten your faucet.
- Although you can use the Teflon to attach the faucet with a water pipe, this Teflon tape will keep your faucet stick for a longer time.
Why does the cleaning important?
- Cleaning with sandpaper: cleaning the faucet from the inside is a lot of things to do as it can prevent the blockage of water in pipes. The sandpaper cleans the copper thoroughly so that you can use the sandpaper instead of a normal towel. The particles of water are usually left behind in the faucet pipe so you can get rid of the dirt particles in your water.
- Check the faucet after fixing the new:
You will need to check the faucet by turning on the water valve from the backyard. Turn the tap on and put away all the air present in the new faucet. This process will take some time (1-2 minutes).
- What is a vacuum breaker?
Most of the faucets come along with the vacuum breaker. This vacuum breaker prevents the supply of dirty water in the pipes. It vacuums all the harmful particles whenever you turn on the tap.
- Why is a shark bite faucet for the outdoor?
The shark bite is quite famous for the outdoor faucets as it matches the size of most faucets.
- It will not stop leaking if the size of your faucet does not match the water pipe.
- How do you avoid the freezing of faucets?
Frost-free faucets: The faucets are not frost-free, so you need to cover the spout with a plastic box. There are chances of freezing the taps in the cold temperature, which will stop the water supply in the pipe.
- Safety measures: whenever you are fixing the faucets, you will need to wear gloves to protect your hands from germs. Numerous skin infections are due to the germs present in the taps.
- Although when you will need to open the water valve with a wrench as it is mostly under the ground and has insects crawling inside.
- Try to use the wrench and channel locks carefully to avoid cuts in your hands. However, you can ask for help from friends and family. Thus, this will faster your process.
Would you need to buy the vacuum breaker separately?
Most of the faucets don’t have the vacuum breaker with them as people are not aware of its benefits. It clears the harmful particles and does not let that flow with the water supply in the faucets. This product is quite beneficial if you are thinking of changing the faucet.
How does the Teflon work in the fixing of water pipes?
The Teflon tape will help in fixing the faucet with the water pipes. It will help stick the taps in their place for a longer time. In most cases, the loss of rings in the faucets is due to the loss of Teflon tape.
Will replacing help or repairing the outdoor faucets?
If you see the leakage in your backyard and notice that your faucet is perfectly fine outside, you don’t need to change the tap. If the pipe does not connect to the faucets, you will need to repair the hole faucet model.