Does the smell of a clogged sink spread all over the kitchen? This smell is so irritating that it causes you to embracement in front of your friends.
But first, you will need to figure out what caused your sink to smell like this. How to make a sink smell better? Maybe a lot of junk is stuck in the pipes that have created this scent.
Though you can erase the smell, you will surely need to cleanse the drain pipes. This post will help you figure out ways and products to remove the sink’s smell.
Also, they will clear out all the grease and junk stuck to the pipes. To know the facts for determining the sink drain, keep reading till the end.
Identify how to make a sink smell better:
- Do we need to remove the whole sink to discard the smell? At times you will need to remove the pipes to take out junk, but you can still try chemical reactions to settle down trash.
- We will start discovering ways from easy to complex. If the easy one works out for you, you will not need to run after the complex one.
Let us walk through some major causes of your sink drain smell:
- As you have used the crude products in your kitchen sink, there are chances that crude has stuck in the pipes.
- The rotten food wastage is passed through the kitchen sinks quite often. This rotten smell can be another reason for your sink scent.
- The clogged drain for years and uncleaned drain is other main reason for the smell of the sink.
The procedure for deodorization:
The use of baking soda and vinegar:
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is the oldest remedy to distinguish the scent and trash from the pipes. To this date, it has been used as a cleaning element for clogged pipes.
- To eliminate the smell from the sink, we will use this solution.
- You will pour one pot of hot water into the drain to resolve the trash.
- Now take one cup of baking soda and put it straight into the drain.
- You can put 3-4 spoons of vinegar in that drain.
- Now you will leave the solution for at least 15-20 minutes.
- You will see a lot of foam coming out of the drain; that’s how it reacts.
- Place one more pot of hot water to rinse all the solution. Thus, it will take away all the junk with it.
Using of detergents:
- The detergents are not only great for cleansing but also, have a fragrance effect in them.
- Hence, we are going to apply the detergents in our sink. However, you must have used the detergents in your bathroom sink often. But the clogged drain needs another sort of treatment.
- Pour the hot water pot into the drain.
- Take any liquid or powder detergent and place that in the drain.
- Leave the solution for some time in the drain.
- You will hear strange voices getting out of the drain; that’s the clearing of the drain.
Usage of drain opener:
- The drain opener is made for the opening of clogged sinks. However, it is better not to use harsh chemical components in the drain pipes. It will affect the pipes and their texture.
- So, we will use the drain opener in a balanced amount, 1-2 spoons.
- Take the hot water pot and put that into the drain.
- Put drain opener in the required amount.
- You will surely see a lot of chemical reactions.
- You can leave the solution for hours and even overnight.
Using ice cubes:
- This technique might sound weird, but it has worked out for many people.
- As the stick trash is quite tough to remove, putting the ice cubes might help.
- This method will put a bowl full of ice cubes into the drain.
- Now you can put the detergent in the drain and leave it overnight.
- It will erase the smell, and the trash will stick to the pipes.
- It is one of the easiest and simple methods to remove the smell from the sink.
Usage the Listerine:
- You can put the Listerine in the drain for scent removal. Most people use this method in their bathroom sinks.
- In this method, you will put the Listerine in the drain and let its sit for a few hours.
- Now rinse the solution with a hot water tub.
Use of Clorox bleach:
- The bleach is also a strong detergent element for cleansing. But we will use these products in a minimum quantity.
- It might act hard on the drain pipe but quickly discard greasy trash.
- Put a small cap of bleach into the drain.
- Now you can put the hot water and rinse it all.
Removing P trap:
- The last and most complex method is clearing the P trap under the sink. All the trash passes through the trap and thus has chances to have more junk in it.
- For this method, you will use the bucket and put that under the pipe to catch water.
- Now rotate the trap with your hands or wrench and detach it.
- Now you will have the trap in your hands, which must have crude water.
- You can use any detergent to cleanse the trap.
- Take a cloth and clear out all the pipes.
- Now place the trap back in its position using a wrench and tighten it to avoid leakage.
Is the chemical detergent not enough for the sink?
The chemical detergents specially made for draining are quite great, but they are also harsh.
Though the remedies are also great if you want to secure your drain, the drain pipes are too strong to absorb the drain opener components at times.
Which method is more effective for the removal of sink smell?
Removing trap and thorough cleansing is way too effective, and if we talk about solutions, baking soda and vinegar are the solutions. However, it is usually on the user if he is ready to cleanse the trap and put in some effort. Or he could pour the vinegar and sodium bicarbonate.
Why do we pour hot water into every remedy?
The hot water itself is a remedy and saves a lot of time and money. The hot water will settle all the crude and greasy junk attached to the pipes. Thus, it also faster the process of cleansing.
Are you getting smells from your kitchen and bathroom? But you can not figure out what is causing this smell. You might be thinking of calling a plumber, but you can save your dollars by figuring out the problem yourself. Your sink is the main problem causing all this scent around your house.
How to make a sink smell better? You can use a remedy that is inexpensive and simple to use. Thus, one of the most effective is a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and vinegar. You can also try using the removal trap under the sink to get most of the junk out of the pipes. You will also cleanse the pipe and remove the smell by spending dollars on chemical products.