Are you facing the leaking of water from the tap? Do you get your bathroom wet at times? Although you clean it frequently, the leaking faucet is not letting your bathroom stay clean.
Do you find it difficult and embarrassing when your friends visit and see the leaking faucet? Although beside the fact of cleanliness, the sound of dripping also irritates a lot.
You get frustrated and want to replace the faucet as soon as possible. However, it is not necessary to replace the whole faucet. You can try fixing the internal parts that are the leading cause of dripping.
But first, you will need to figure out the actual problem internally. What causes a faucet to drip? You are on the best page if you are searching for the main reason and how to fix it.
Let us figure out what causes a faucet to drip?
The leakage of the water faucet has many reasons. We can categorize them as the; internal parts of the faucet and water quality. These are the main reasons that your faucet is not working correctly.
- What are the side effects of leaking water:
- You waste almost 3 gallons of water if your faucet is dripping at the average speed, and that’s way too much. This dripping causes a water deficiency worldwide, and we are already around the corner of water shortage. However, the other factors are also essential to discuss, such as the leaking water damaging the sink. It can put permanent stains on the vanity and damage the drain pipe, which will create a complete mess.
The internal components creating leakage:
- Inferior components: if the quality of your faucet or its parts is subordinate, it has chances for taps’ operation. When a tiny amount of the faucet gets out of its place, it will create dripping water. Let’s discuss what sort of parts gets inoperative and causes the leakage.
- The cartridge: this cartridge is on each side of the handle of the faucet and functions the flow of water in the faucet. You will know which faucet cartridge is broken when you touch the hot or cold water from the dripping faucet water.
- Report of rubber: the rubber in the faucet holds the parts with the faucet’s valve. When the water increases its pressure, it can affect the rubber; thus, a slight dislocation can cause the water leakage. However, you can replace the rubber when it slightly breaks.
- The washer’s defectiveness: the washers are installed in the valve seat. And if the washer is not according to the exact model of the faucet, it will start the leakage. The washer is sometimes installed in the wrong position, although it might be of the best quality. Thus, it will cause the leaking of water leakage.
- O-rings are out of place: the o-rings are the essential part of the faucet that holds every other position and prevents water overflow. It maintains the pressure of water in the valve. Water leakage starts if the o-rings are old enough to have a dent or maybe get out of place. In most of the water leakage faucets, the o-rings are the cause.
- The valve seat is not working: the valve seat mostly breaks, which causes the water leakage. It settles the faucet and passes the water through the tap. The mismanagement of the faucet’s valve seat is why it’s leaking.
How does the water quality cause the water leakage in faucets?
- Hard water: the hard water contains most of the excessive amount of minerals that usually get stuck on the faucet. When the hard water flows continuously from the faucet spout, it will be clogged there, and water starts leaking from the clogged spots.
- Extravagant water pressure: when the water pressure fluctuates or is too high, then standard, the faucet parts will start rupturing. However, the rupturing causes a lot of damage to the elements of a faucet. However, the cracks will cause the water dripping that we have already discussed.
How to fix this dripping?
- The damage may sound like a lot of big trouble, but it is not unless you know the proper method. You will not need to call the plumber all the time to get the new faucet, as it will be too expensive. However, you can fix the internal parts quickly without any hustle.
- Determine which of the faucet handles leaks, the hot one or the cold tap.
- After knowing the faucet, turn off the water valves or the supply to avoid more leakage during the treatment.
- Now take off the caps of both faucets and use a screwdriver to put them out.
- Now lift the handle by removing the nuts of the faucet.
- You can know to see the cartridge; remove it with a wrench.
- Pull out the plastic piece that holds the cartridge.
- If the cartridge is broken, you will need to replace it.
- Furthermore, changing o-rings is the best solution to stop the leakage.
- Afterwards, you will need to compare the faucet’s size to the washer’s. Try to get the exact model and size for the tap to prevent leakage.
Do the hardware shops always suggest the same faucet?
Not sometimes; the brand or the model you are using also varies to get the exact internal parts for the faucet. People usually mistake the model for the size. However, there is a quite difference in both terms.
How to deal with stains on the sink due to water dripping?
The stains on sinks mostly stay for a longer time. You can use the spray or the damn cloth disinfected to remove the stains.
How to know which faucet has excellent quality internal parts?
The faucet from the brand or maybe from the famous websites with excellent ratings is a good way to fit in your bathroom. The solid and extended life warranty is always great to buy for your bathroom.